Saturday, January 24, 2009

MRI'm So Happy!

I am a fan of clinical trials. In fact, I would (and have) sign up for every one I could, as long as my doctor approves. I'm in two right now, but will let you in on the next one as soon as that starts ... after surgery. Until then, I have Really Good News.

Perhaps I've mentioned this trial in previous posts: it's the MRI trial. With a very long and complicated name that I can't recall. Essentially, though, the purpose of the trial is to complete several MRIs through the course of treatment to see if, ultimately, women going through breast cancer treatment receive better information, response, and if the data gained from the frequent MRIs ultimately affect their results.

People often ask me why I didn't have my surgery first, and there are two answers. First, I was originally considering a lumpectomy, as opposed to a mastectomy. The surgeon strongly recommended chemotherapy before surgery to shrink the tumor first. So I started chemo. Then, they found a second very small tumor in the same breast when they did my MRI. Thus ended my hopes for a lumpectomy. However, I probably still would have done chemo first so I could be a part of this study. My long discussions with my doctor assured me that the survival rates for neo-adjuvant and adjuvant therapy (surgery first or chemo first) are exactly the same).

And now, for the Really Good News. My latest MRI, which was actually in November (I know. I'm very slow.) revealed that the cancer is gone. People, the radiologist couldn't even find either tumor, even though he could still see the little metal markers that were placed in the tumor at the beginning of all this.

Naturally, this is a huge relief to me and, I think, a giant advantage to doing chemo first. I know the chemo is working. I hope that if I am unfortunate enough to have little cancer cells anywhere else in my body that are too small to see, that the chemo is working on those, too. It has made me hate chemo less to know that it is wiping out the wicked bad dudes even as it has been killing my own healthy cells.

On this journey, any good news is welcome, and this news made me exceptionally happy!

13 comments:

K8 said...

So happy to hear it. You look and sound beautiful. Let's get together sooner than later. Love you.

Jenny Jackson said...

That is such wonderful news! Congratulations on finishing this part of your treatment. Now on to bigger and better things, right?

Crys said...

AWESOME!! I am SO glad to hear it. Must be a major relief and boost!

Lori said...

Kristi,
I'm so happy to hear this news!
-Lori

Anne Marie said...

So happy to hear this!

Katrina said...

Yeah!

DeAnn said...

Such good news! So happy that you have finished chemo and things look good!

Leisha Mareth said...

Tears. Best news in the world... Here's to Chemo...killer of wicked bad dudes all over Kristy's body!

The NC Merrill's said...

Great news! We are ecstatic!

Anonymous said...

That is such awesome news! Hope you start feeling much better soon!

Heather Ales said...

Oh how fantastic! YAY! I am so absolutely over the moon happy for you!

CJ said...

Kristy,
I am glad things are improving. You are brave for blogging about your cancer and hopefully it will encourage others to make sure they do their exams. It always seems to hit home more when you know the person who has it. I hope you recover from this soon and are able to stay cancer free for a long time.
Take Care,
Cherie

My Many Coloured Days said...

You were definately led on your journey! What wonderful news. My heart goes out to you - you deserve this!!!